Monday, November 19, 2012

Burmese kid see an iPhone




So I was gonna take the train from Hsipaw to Mandalay, a train ride that some tourists take for part of the way cause it goes over a bridge that will fall thousands of feet down into a rocky abyss any day now and then they can say that they went over it.  As a result there is a nice tourist coach with padded seats but I was all like fuck those soft seats I'm gonna go full Christopher Columbus mode here and kick it old school with the locals on the hard seats cause I'm hardcore like that.  And forget getting off after the famous bridge and then taking a taxi to Mandalay making the whole thing a simple seven hour affair, I'm seeing this twelve hour journey through to the end.

I get on my car and it's clear I'm the only person with an assigned seat, which the conductor insists I take even though doing so means temporarily displacing a large family. They quickly re-congregated around me and bombarded me with strange fruits and gel like substances made from red peanuts for the next hour.

The family got off and I was stuffed, ready for a little nap action when this kid starts batting the back of my head from the bench behind me. This happens on and off for a few hours with the kid ducking down behind the seat whenever I turn around and smile.  At some point either he gets up the courage or his parents fell asleep, so he comes over and plops down next to me.

Now one thing you should know about the Burmese railways is that it literally cuts through the jungle. I mean why would you cut away the bushes on either side of the track when the train does a fine job of it an you can just sweep it at the end of the line?  So frequently, 75% of the time all the time, branches smack against the open windows and leaves, sticks, the occasional berry and a small bug or two come flying in.  So here this kid is siting between me and the window getting pelted by shit without a care in the world.  His brother comes over and tries to pull him to the backwards facing bench opposite of me which was recently vacated and offers protection from all the debris.  But no way was this kid not gonna sit by the foreigner so he wedges himself behind my arm and shoulder and latches his arms around mine.

That's when I thought it would be a good idea to bust out the phone and really blow his mind.  An hour or so later he got bored of holding on to my arm and went back to sleep with his family, around that time I lost feeling in my butt.  The train stopped, the tourists got off and the conductor came on without explanation and brought me to first class.  The rest of the ride was comfortable.  Comfortably boring. Nobody ever talks about the crazy ride they had sitting up in first other than to say that it was 'Nice'.

No comments:

Post a Comment